Monday Motivation + My Daily Routine

by - September 28, 2020

Welcome to another week. After the hustle of last week, this week will almost feel like a vacation. I can't believe it's about to be October. The end of the year is upon us, and I can't say I'll be sad to see 2020 come to an end.

Last week was my last full week of working on the October magazine, but for the first time in a long time I wasn't racing my deadlines to get everything written. Technically today (9/28) is our final day but it's more about finalizing ad designs than anything else. The rest of the week will be spent getting things set up for November and December and making sure the web issue is ready to go.

I was planning on adding a little more jogging into my daily trek this week, but that will have to wait. I rolled my ankle last week, aggravating an old cheerleading injury, but in my infinite wisdom I decided that it wasn't that bad and pushed through it...for three days. By Friday, I had made it so much worse and decided to skip the day. Saturday morning dawned and the full extent of the damage made itself known, so I spent the weekend with an ice pack and my foot elevated on a stack of pillows. It's thankfully on the mend, but it will be at least Tuesday (9/29) before I pick up where I left off.

In my August column for the magazine, I talked about how it felt like my responsibilities and anxieties had doubled over the summer. I was feeling pretty overwhelmed by what felt like a constant state of messiness in my home, a sleep schedule that was all over the place, and never having time to myself. Now that school has been back in session for a few weeks, my days have settled into a more structured rhythm, and I'm feeling more on top of things. Here's a look at my daily routine:

My alarm goes off at 6:30 a.m. I take 10 minutes to wake up, then wake Alexis up at 6:45. This is important -- I get Alexis dressed before letting her leave her bedroom, that way she's less likely to get distracted by anything.

Then it's time for breakfast. I have a cup of coffee and pack Alexis's lunchbox, then while Alexis finishes eating, I wash my face, brush my teeth, tame my hair, and get dressed. Once I'm dressed, I fix Alexis's hair, give her a dose of allergy medicine, and get her teeth brushed.

We leave for school between 7:25-30. It takes no more than 10 minutes for morning drop-off so I'm back home in time to do my morning walk/jog at 7:45.

When I get back to the house I shower and get ready for the day. I'm in my office working by 9:00 most mornings, later if I'm running errands. I work up until 1:45 p.m., when I leave to get in the after school car line. And one thing I've learned this school year is that it doesn't matter how close to school you live, the afternoon pickup line still takes forever.

Our afternoon varies from day-to-day depending on what's happening that particular day. We unpack Alexis's bookbag as soon as we get inside, and if she has homework we do that. I finish up any work I had on my schedule for the day, we have some outside time if the weather is nice, and Alexis gets to watch a little TV.

We eat supper around 5:00 every night. Alexis's bath starts sometime between 6-6:30. Bathtime is when the TV gets turned off for the night. Alexis gets to play in her room for 30-45 minutes, then we do our typical bedtime routine: bathroom, medicine, story. She's in bed and hopefully asleep by 8:00.

Once Alexis is in bed, I have some me time. I read, watch TV or a movie, work if I'm up against a deadline, work on the blog, take a bubble bath, or some combination thereof. Most nights I'm turning out the lights and going to sleep.

I'm still not a morning person by any means, and probably never will be, but even I can appreciate the benefits of starting my day earlier. And while my responsibilities haven't actually lessened, I do find myself breathing a little easier these days.

Happy Monday!

You May Also Like